Convened by the General Assembly, the High-Level Meeting of the General Assembly on the Midterm Review of the implementation of the Sendai Framework for Disaster Risk Reduction 2015-2030 (HLM) took place from 18-19 May 2023 at the United Nations Headquarters in New York.
The High-Level Meeting participants of the heads of State, heads of governments and Prime ministers of 162 countries reflected on the findings and recommendations of the MTR SF and formulate a forward-looking and risk-informed approach to more effectively address systemic risk. The meeting adopted a political declaration to renew commitment and accelerate the implementation of the Sendai Framework up to 2030.
The HLM is outcomes to:
• Raise global awareness and generate political will and momentum to integrate risk reduction in all decision-making, investment, and behaviour in alignment with the Sendai Framework to reduce disaster risk and build resilience across sectors.
• Showcase solutions and best practices to address gaps and obstacles and announce commitments and plans to accelerate implementation.
• Encourage the adoption and application of a risk-informed and prevention-oriented approach, through multi-sector practices on disaster risk management and resilient development planning.
• Showcase the value proposition of the full implementation of the Sendai Framework for the least developed countries, landlocked developing countries, and small island developing States.
• Enhance national, sub-regional and international cooperation to realise risk-informed decision-making, investment, and behaviour to inform strategic foresight to prevent or prepare for future global crisis.